Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Blogger Fail

So yes, I suck at blogging, as is evidenced by the complete lack of anything resembling a post in the last... Month?

More?

Who's keeping track? Not me.

Anyway, while I'm not particularly good at blogging, I do cook. A lot. And by a lot I might mean once a day. But it's still more than my roommates. Whom I'm hoping don't read this. Actually, I'm 90% certain even my boyfriend won't, let alone the roomies.

On Friday, even though I was sick, I was feeling antsy, so I decided to do some cooking. Lovie and I had just done grocery shopping a couple days prior, and he was kind enough to indulge my desire for baking supplies. So I set off on a cooking/baking/mixing binge. Or, a sort-of binge. Binge-for-a-not-particularly-special-I'm-sick-kind-of-Friday.

First, I made my lifelong, childhood favorite holiday dessert, Raspberry-Cranberry Jell-O Salad. It's the simple pleasures in life. Creamy, sweet, jiggly, with a tiny bit of tart to make you go back for seconds. And thirds. Maybe fourths. Yummmmm.

Second, I made Cocoa-Doodles. These are not the kind of cookies you get from the grocery store, separate, and bake. These are the kind where you measure every ingredient, mix it all together, risk salmonella poisoning eating the dough, and then shape each and every cookie before you put them in the oven. These cookies are actually a family recipe that only my momma can take credit for. They're amazing, and if you have been lucky enough to have them, you can attest to that.
But no, you cannot have the recipe. It's one of those secret ones.
This is the first time I've made these cookies that they turned out EXACTLY how I like them. Soft, moist, and honestly, more like mini-cakes than cookies. The fabulous result was probably due to the fact that I got some tips from my (younger) sister, who is a PRO at making these, prior to starting. I could eat them for breakfast. Maybe I have.

And third, I made dinner. Nothing fancy, just spaghetti with a meat sauce and garlic bread. I'm not gonna lie, I'm in LOVE with the french rolls we get from Wal-Mart's bakery. They're made with garlic and parmesan baked right into the bread, and actually smell very fresh! I just slice one down the middle, coat with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt before throwing it in the oven for a few minutes, and it's deliciousness.

I guess my cooking binge was a little heavy on the desserts, but that's what being sick will do to you.


Stay warm this holiday season!
Hearts and Cocoa.

P.S. I'll try to start taking pictures of my food, but that will require more forethought and preparedness in my blogging, which as we all know is not my strength.

2 comments:

  1. I think maybe we all had a hand in coming up with the final recipe? I will take credit for the initial inspiration and idea for converting the recipe, but some trial and error was necessary for perfection! :) I love that you actually wanted to make the Jello thingy, good to know something I specialized in left an impression ;P ... but honey, you're really gonna have to branch out beyond the cran-raspberry stuff, cocodoodles, and spaghetti in order to capture my imagination. ;) I know you can do it... you HAVE done it... the mushroom lasagna, alone, was quite the adventure and an amazing success, to boot!! :D Looking forward to more... and hopefully eating some of it, as well :) Love you, thanks for the phone call. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm working on branching out! I'm just trying to become more regular in posting, in the meantime. :) If I can get a better job, there will be a lot more branching out, but since Ken is responsible for most of the grocery shopping at the moment (and he's kind of a creature of habit who enjoys staples), spaghetti is a fairly regular occurrence around here. lol I'll do a post on the mushroom lasagna the next time I get to make it. :) Love you too!

      Delete