Monday, January 7, 2013

Fruity Pigs

I started this post a few days ago, but I haven't been feeling great (and was experiencing a little writer's block), so I saved it for later. But, we're back in business!

This past week I made my first foray into the world of Masterchef. Well, the Masterchef cookbook I got for Christmas.



There are sooo many recipes in my new cookbooks that I want to try, but many of them require tools I don't have, are more complex than I want to try for a work night dinner, or require a lot of ingredients I don't have and/or wouldn't even know where to buy. Since my budget is pretty limited (grocery shopping usually consists of a trip to the local super Wal-Mart), this is a problem.

Luckily, there is one fancy looking pork recipe that only required a handful of ingredients not already members of my pantry, and pork chops is just what Lovie wanted for dinner.

My poor baby.
I started this recipe around 8:30pm, thinking it would only take me an hour, tops. The reason I was starting so late was because he got off work at 5, and we went to the gym and then grocery shopping before we finally made it home for dinner. I offered to make one of our usual dinners that are faster, but he said he would be okay waiting.
Dinner wasn't ready to eat until around 10:30pm. I felt so bad. And even though I was checking the clock to time my cooking, it didn't occur to me how late it was getting until I sat down with my plate.

I suppose the food was worth the wait though. These chops were delicious.
The prep always takes me forever. I'm too meticulous, and too afraid of chopping my fingers off to speed it up. Plus, (as I warned Lovie before I started) the first time I use a new recipe always takes me longer than it usually would.



K does not like mushrooms. He loved the chops, but refused to eat any of the mushrooms. Something about the smell and texture just puts him off, and he says he would rather I experiment with making him eat fish/seafood (something else he's not exactly a fan of) than mushrooms. Good to know. I told him he needs to be more open-minded about what he is willing to eat, or I'm never going to get to try half the recipes in my cookbooks. Anyway, I suppose that's kind of beside the point.

The end result was pretty awesome, although I think I was supposed to let the pomegranate gastrique cool completely, as the color was better cool, and it tasted just as good.
Oh, and I got to use my fancy new thermometer too!



Yes, I know. Not exactly Masterchef quality plates, but I'm working with what I have. And it doesn't matter, because it tasted amazing! The recipe will be posted in the comments below. The only advice I have other than the bit about letting the gastrique cool completely is to give yourself plenty of time. At least the first time.

Until next time,
Pomegranates and pork.

1 comment:

  1. For the gastrique-

    1 cup fresh pomegranate juice
    1 celery stalk, diced
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 white wine vinegar
    2 tbsp unsalted butter
    Kosher salt

    For the mushrooms-

    3 tbsp olive oil
    2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
    4 portobello mushrooms, gills scraped, caps sliced
    2 tbsp unsalted butter
    1 tbsp white wine vinegar
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

    For the pork-

    4 (1 1/2 inch thick) bone-in, center-cut pork chops
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    All-purpose flour
    4 tbsp olive oil
    4 tbsp unsalted butter

    To make the gastrique: Combine the pomegranate juice, celery, water, and 1/4 cup of the sugar in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan and simmer gently until reduced by half, about 25 minutes.
    Cook the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in another small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat without stirring until it melts and turns a golden brown color, swirling the pan to brown the sugar evenly, about 8 minutes. Slowly add the vinegar and pomegranate reduction. Simmer until the sauce has a syrupy consistency, about 7 minutes. Whisk in the butter to blend. Strain the sauce and season to taste with salt.

    To make the mushrooms: Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the celery and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and butter and toss to coat. Sauté until the mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the lemon juice.

    To make the pork: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Dredge the chops in flour to coat lightly and shake off any excess flour.
    Meanwhile, heat 2 large, heavy-bottomed skillets (preferably cast-iron) over high heat. Once hot, add 2 tbsp of the oil then 2 pork chops to each skillet and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Add the butter to the skillets and transfer the skillets to the oven. Roast the pork chops until an instant-read thermometer registers 145 degrees when inserted into the center, about 5 minutes. While the pork chops roast, occasionally baste them with the pan drippings. Transfer the pork chops to a carving board and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

    To serve: Mound the mushrooms in the center of 4 plates. Slice the pork chops and set them on top of the mushrooms. Pour any accumulated juices from the pork over the chops. Spoon the gastrique around and serve.

    ReplyDelete